01 April 2010

Kent Dodds Productions "Resurrected!"

After graduating high school, and moving on to college, my "production company," Kent Dodds Productions kind of retired. In fact, I made a video about the history of Kent Dodds Productions using a song called "Time to Say Goodbye."
I must admit, I did have visions of KD Productions becoming a big company and everything, but I always knew in the back of mind that it wouldn't go very far.
Well, recently, I've been doing some freelance work for some people I know, and I decided that if I can really market myself and network around a little, I could get enough freelance projects to make it worth my time. So, that's what I'm doing! I've made a blog: KDProductions.blogspot.com and a Facebook Page: Kent Dodds Productions. I'm just trying to figure out pricing and marketing specifics, but so far it's going alright. Still in the "getting set up stage" and as soon as I can get a Google Voice Phone number I wont be so concerned putting that number up there so people can call me. That will be great.
So, anyway, mostly, the services I'm planning on doing are going to be pretty simple and basic. A large part of what I'll do doesn't take much computer skill (though some of it will), just time, which is something that a lot of people don't have.
One of the best services that I'm providing right now is CD Ripping. Essentially, people who are over the age of 30 or 35 likely have big CD collections. In fact, many have hundreds of CDs. This can sometimes be pretty daunting when you want to listen to a song from a specific artist, but you don't remember which album it's on, and you aren't even sure where all those artist's albums are in your collection. Scenes like this one can be pretty scary:
So you decide to get an iPod so you can find all the songs you want without having to search for it. Then you're faced with another problem. How in the world are you going to get ALL those songs on that iPod? Sure, you could sit at the computer for days importing the song, but you have a job, family, church, and other extracurricular activities. And nobody wants to buy and download all those CDs again! This is where I come in. Give me your CDs, I'll take them away for a little while, bring them back and have all the music for you, ready to put on your iPod. You don't have to use any time out of your schedule. Most of the competition charges $0.75 - $1.25 per CD, but I can offer it at $0.50. So, it's a good deal, and I can do it quickly enough to be well worth my time as well. Situations like this can be scary too, only now the question is, what am I going to do with all that extra room in my old CD drawer?

Another service that I've done is making Photo Music Video Slideshows. We all like to take pictures when we go on a vacation, and especially with digital cameras now, it's really easy to get camera happy and take a lot. Well, with the Photo Music Video Slideshow, it's an easy way to share the memories with others and view them as a family to remember the vacation. The average for competition around here is about $65 an hour for this kind of stuff. The amount I charge wont be by the hour, because of the fact that I will be working on the project, then leave, then come back, then leave (for school and things). So, I charge by the project, rather than the hour. Generally, pricing for a Photo Music Video Slideshow is $10 for the video, and $5 for every additional minute after 4 minutes. Some other features may add extra cost (for example, captions).


I have several other services that I offer. You can learn more at the Official Blog. If you could, please let your friends and family know about these services. Lots of people need it done, but their putting it off and trying hard not to think about it because the task is so daunting. Please have them contact me on my blog or Facebook.
This is keeping me busy and I'm learning a lot :D and that's the Bright-Side of Life :D

No comments: