31 May 2010

24 hours in a day? That's it!?!?


So, I've decided that I'm a pretty busy person. I'm doing pretty well with it all I feel. But if I were to let off for even a moment, I would fall behind and probably be really stressed about my life! Luckily I have friends and family who are really supportive! Thanks everyone!
I just thought that I would share with everyone my schedule just because I've been thinking about it, and that's what a blog is for. By definition, a blog is: "a type of online diary that someone makes available to other people on the internet. (A very popular way to communicate one's personal details without any social interaction.) : John started a weblog so that other people could read about what he eats for breakfast. , I deleted my blog, since it was too silly." So, anyway, my schedule consists of:

22 hours of school
  • 6 Hours of Biology - 100 (3 credits - Quite fascinating, we also read a book a week, write a paper on it, and have one lab a week)
  • 6 Hours of Moral Leadership in Technology (3 credits - Also quite fascinating, we have big group and personal projects due at the end of the course and a LOT of reading before each class)
  • 4 Hours of Book of Mormon (2 credits - 2nd half, Brother Thompson is really awesome, I love the Book of Mormon!)
  • 6 Hours of a Math Refresher (This is a 0 credit class to get me re-integrated on math, it's really helpful, but hard to be motivated to go as it's a two hour class at the end of the day and worth no credits....)

7 - 10 hours of work
  • I work at the BYU Conference Center. I'm a A/V Technician. Basically, I play with A/V equimpment the whole time. It's awesome. I'm doing what I really enjoy doing. For me, it's like putting a child in a playground and saying, "As long as you play with the toys and do nothing else the whole time, I'll give you $8.00 an hour. And sometimes, I'll ask you to help another kid learn how to play on the toys too." So, it's pretty awesome. I do wish that I had time/could work more hours and get paid more, but you can't complain to be able to play for work :-)
5 hours at the Temple
  • I just got called to be an ordinance worker two weeks ago. My first day was last Tuesday. I start Tuesday mornings at 5:00 until 10:00. It's pretty early, but it's awesome! Such a wonderful experience. So I have to go to bed at 9:00 on Monday evenings just to get 7 hours of sleep (I would go to bed at 8:00 to get 8 hours, but we have FHE at 7:30, so that wouldn't work!) It's awesome!

So, let's break this down...
  • There are 168 hours in a week. You're supposed to get 8 hours of sleep every night. That leaves me with 112 hours a week.
  • We're supposed to study 2 hours for every hour in class (according to President Samuelson). So with the 22 hours of class, I should add 44 hours of class. That puts me at 46 hours a week.
  • Then I have the approximate 7.5 hours of work a week. That's 39.5 hours left.
  • Then there's my church stuff (meetings/activities, the frequent-enough temple trip), approximately 15 hours + 5 hours at the temple = 20. That leaves me with 9.5 hours.
  • That seems alright.... Oh YEAH! Let's not forget that I don't suddenly get up and appear in my class! So, there's the get up, shower, heiginate myself, scripture study, eating, and travel time. Let's say that it takes me an hour and a half from the time I wake up to the time I can be where I need to be, and we'll tack on a half hour lunch and half hour dinner (that's thrifty), and then about a half hour of travel every day (that's also thrifty). That's 21 hours! But WAIT! That doesn't work!
  • That leaves me with -11.5 to use on a social life! This simply doesn't work! I was a part of an Ultimate Frisbee Team that took about 4 hours a week. That's over, but now I'm a part of a singing group called "Up a Notch" which practices Wednesdays for 2 hours. Then I also like to spend time with friends. Oh yeah, and then there's laundry, and house cleaning, and piano playing! It just goes on, and on, and on!

So, with all of those things, where do I get my time to do them??? I would venture to guess that I DON'T exactly follow the counsel to study 2 hours for every hour in class. I also would have to say that I don't get 8 hours of sleep EVERY night. Or maybe I don't get exactly eight hours of sleep ANY night! But I try really really hard to get enough sleep! So that's probably where my time comes from. There's my conclusion.
With all of this, I assure you that I'm doing well in my classes, and I'm having a wonderful time here in Provo. So, THAT'S the Bright-Side of life!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

New favorite word: "heiginate"

Kent Dodds said...

P.S. on that calendar, normally my Mondays look really close to my Wednesdays, but it was Memorial day :)

Kent Dodds said...

P.S. Rachel, and I didn't even see that on a crossword puzzle! :-)

Kim and Jim said...

Okay, there went about 2 hours of your time, just writing this post... ha ha! You are very analytical. I would say, amiable/analytical, right? (Were you here at AG when they did the Personogenics thing?)
Anyways, I know that you are the kind of person who thrives on keeping busy, and balancing everything. Keep up the good work! And schedule a few hours in there to bring Jenessa up here for a game night!

Kent Dodds said...

Kim: Ha ha, I thought someone might say that! To which I was ready to respond, I typed it all on a car ride home when I thought that would be the best time to do it (I later realized that it would have been wiser for me to have read my book for biology which I need to write a paper on tonight). What am I doing on Blogger right now? Well, I probably ought not be.... Ha ha, but when your computer tells you when stuff happens, you get curious.... Ha ha

Lisa said...

I know the feeling...trust me... :)